5 Onion Soup
Print this page
Executive Chef Chef Wiedmaier
- 3 White Onions, sliced thin
- 2 Red Onions, sliced thin
- 10 Shallots, sliced thin
- ½ lb Butter
- 3 Qts Chicken Stock
- 1 Qt Fond de Veau
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 Tbs Caraway Seeds
- Salt & Pepper
- Toasted Croutons
- Grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1 bunch Scallions, sliced thin
- ½ c Chives, chopped
- Heat large pot and melt butter.
- Add the sliced onions and shallots and caramelize well.
- Tie the small bunch of thyme with butchers twine and add to the pot along with the caraway seeds.
- Add the chicken stock and fond de veau and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove thyme bunch before serving.
ASSEMBLY & PRESENTATION
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls and top with croutons & gruyere cheese.
- Place bowls under broiler until cheese is melted and caramelized.
- Garnish with scallions and chopped chives.